INeedAttention.com

Rants on business, science, technology, society, politics, police, and justice, plus life hacks and tricks, since 2003.

INeedAttention.com header image 2

BlackBerry Brick Breaker Strategy Guide / Walkthrough

November 6th, 2007 · 118 Comments

All about Brick Breaker

As the Nintendo Wii, Microsoft Xbox 360, and Sony Playstation 3 vie for sales in the “next generation” of console gaming – the Research in Motion (RIM) BlackBerry would seem to pale in comparison, if one were to look only at raw gaming power. Yet the BlackBerry has quite the fan base for a mobile device. In fact, some users refer to the device as a CrackBerry because of its addicting nature, however this is mainly because of its email and web features.

As BlackBerry users can attest, the game Brick Breaker, included by default, is itself an addicting game despite its 256 color, 2-D graphics and single-button game-play. This passion for Brick Breaker extends to the highest levels of corporate America – the CEO and Chairman of one of Wall Street’s largest investment banks had to have Brick Breaker uninstalled from his BlackBerry after finding it “too distracting”, only to have it put back on shortly after! His high score – about 16,000.

Basic Game Play

The premise of Brick Breaker, like the million other Breakout copy-cats for those who have been living in a cave for the last 35-plus years, is that bricks are arranged in a pattern at the top of the screen. The player controls a paddle that can move left and right. Players start with three lives.

The game begins when the player launches a ball towards the bricks. Each time the ball hits a brick it breaks the brick and deflects away. If the ball deflects back towards the paddle, the player must maneuver the paddle so that the ball will deflect back towards the bricks. If the player lets the ball fall past the paddle, a life is lost.

Bricks can take one or more hits to break, depending on the type of brick, as indicated by its color. Silver bricks are obstacles, and the ball cannot break them. Each direct hit to a brick is worth 10 points. The ball speeds up periodically as the game proceeds, however after a certain speed, the ball returns to its original slow speed. If the paddle and the ball strike each other a certain number of times, all bricks on the board shift down, although once the board shifts a certain distance down, it ceases to shift down further.

Occasionally, when a ball breaks a brick, a bonus pill will fall down vertically. If the player catches a pill, they receive 50 points and some game-play change. There are nine types of pills:

• Bomb (ball) – the ball becomes a bomb. When it hits a brick, it will explode, breaking neighboring bricks.
  • Catch (paddle) – the ball sticks to the paddle when the player catches it. The player can then aim the ball back upwards, and launch the ball with the spacebar.
  • Flip – perhaps the most hated bonus pill in Brick Breaker, the flip pill inverts the controls such that left becomes right and vice versa. Catching any other pill returns the controls to normal.
  • Gun (paddle) – gives the player three missiles (“ammo”) which can be fired by the space button. Only one missile can appear on the screen at any time. If the missile breaks a brick, the player receives 50 points. Missiles can break silver bricks.
  • Large (paddle) – extends the paddle, making ball control slightly easier.
  • Laser (paddle) – gives the player the ability to shoot lasers by hitting the spacebar. Lasers fire from the left and right sides of the paddle. One direct laser hit is equivalent to one-half direct ball hit. So two laser hits are required to break a brick, and only 5 points are awarded per hit. Only two lasers fired per side can appear on the screen at any given time, for a maximum of four lasers on screen total.
  • Life (paddle) – gives the player an extra life, but resets the paddle to the basic paddle without any bonuses.
  • Multi (ball) – puts four balls in play. The player must only keep one ball in play at any time to continue play. If the player catches the multi pill while the ball is near the bottom of the screen, the balls reverse and launch upwards automatically.
  • Wrap – allows the player to move the paddle past the screen edges, onto the opposite side of the screen (in other words, wraps the left screen edge to the right edge and vice versa). The caveat with the wrap pill is that the paddle must move all the way past the edge of the screen before appearing on the other side.

Note that some pills affect the ball or paddle only. Catching one ball bonus after another ball bonus will cancel the first bonus, which is true for paddle bonuses also. However, ball and paddle pill bonuses can be in play simultaneously. So for example, if the player catches a Large pill followed by a Multi pill, they will have both a large paddle and multiple balls in play. If the player then catches a Bomb pill, they will still have a large paddle, but will only have one ball remaining in play.

Advanced Game Play

While Brick Breaker is extremely easy to learn, it is deceptively hard to beat. Few players ever reach the end of the game (which actually returns them to the beginning of the game, carrying over their points to the next round). The core strategy is obviously to gain the most points before all lives are lost. To achieve this, there are a number of sub-strategies to keep in mind during game play.

• Learn to stay still. Move the paddle deliberately when you do move it. Also, set up the game to suit your style of play. The game options screen allows players to choose their paddle speeds and enable or disable paddle acceleration. Choose according to how you prefer the paddle to react.
  • Pick up all pills! At 50 points each, this is the easiest way to assure the most points are collected.
  • Beware the Flip pill. There is some controversy over taking the flip pill, as it can result in lost lives if the inverted controls confuse the player. Learn to deal with it, if possible, and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Also, remember any pill will reset the flipped controls, so if a flip pill is in your reach, and another pill is following, try to grab both, even if you don’t feel comfortable with the flipped controls.
  • If you get a Gun pill, try to use your ammo before picking up another pill. Aim for silver bricks first – since these cannot be broken without the gun, this can result in an extra 150 points per Gun pill, not to mention it can help clear the board of unnecessary obstacles. If the board has no silver bricks, aim for bricks that are ready to break next, since they would otherwise be worth only 10 more points each.
  • If you get a Laser pill, learn to sweep the laser across the level as you play. Keep firing, even if you have no particular target. Clear out as many bricks as you can with the laser. Note that the laser does not penetrate silver bricks, which may leave some bricks in play even with skilled use of the laser.
  • Decide whether a life pill that is out of reach is worth grabbing anyway. Sometimes, it is possible to get the life pill or the ball, but not both. In this case, decide whether you have the rest of the level under control, and react accordingly. Taking the extra life nets you an extra fifty points and leaves you with the same number of remaining lives – provided you don’t lose any more lives.
  • Have a strategy for each level. The only way to develop this is through repeated game play. Some levels, notably including level 1, can be defeated without the ball ever returning to the paddle, depending on how the player launches the ball. For level 1, cast the first throw all the way to the right. Occasionally, this will result in an instant win. Don’t forget to grab the falling pills!
  • Level 16 is – hands down – the most difficult level in the game. Level 16 is a set of silver bricks, arranged in a “U” shape, filled with bricks of varying colors. The most obvious strategy is to simply get the ball into the “U” and have it break as many bricks as possible. This turns out to be quite difficult in practice, however, as the bricks shift down during game-play, eventually resulting in a one-brick sized margin between the paddle and the ball, making it virtually impossible to maintain any degree of control. The key here is to have ample lives to spare so that you can beat the board without keeping track of exactly how many balls are lost. Alternately, once the board shifts down one level, dropping the ball intentionally can stop the board from shifting down further – potentially saving lives for later boards.
  • Level 13 is also quite difficult for the same reason as level 16 – there is limited access to the bricks, but there are plenty of silver bricks. The level falls as the ball is played until the player is unable to manage the ball with only a brick or two of clearance. Again, intentionally allowing the ball to drain can help avoid this. Another strategy is to control the ball carefully as it returns down the left chute. Return the ball with the most oblique angle possible, trying to let the falling ball hit the left-most edge of the paddle. Typically, this will return the ball on the same trajectory, allowing it to clear more bricks.
  • Maximize your backlight timeout. This will drain your battery faster, but will prevent the screen from blanking during a crucial moment of game play.
  • Submit your high scores! Find out your rank and brag about it to your friends. If you don’t, no one will ever know how great you are at Brick Breaker.
  • Take a Brick Breaker break occasionally. If you take Brick Breaker too seriously, you may end up with no friends to call on your BlackBerry! Try to maintain a healthy balance.

Good luck, and happy brick breaking!

Tags: pwn3d! (Hacks and Tricks) · Skippy Stuff · Telephones

118 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jason Griffis // Apr 20, 2008 at 11:05 pm

I agree with your points but what about secrets, like cheat techniques? Happy BB to you too!

• 2 crystal // May 15, 2008 at 2:57 am

Each shot from the laser earns you 10 points, for a total of 20 points per brick, twice as many as hitting it with the ball.

• 3 David // May 17, 2008 at 6:22 pm

I have 137,000 so far and still going with 53 more lives……….

• 4 Sam // May 29, 2008 at 7:23 pm

I couldnt agree more about level 16 but I am not giving up just yet. What sucks is when my 4 year old wants to play and I have 10 lives on level 12….LOL

• 5 Mimi // Jun 5, 2008 at 8:25 pm

How do you use the gun? I don’t know how.

• 6 Andrew // Jun 10, 2008 at 7:18 am

if u get catch on level 16 all u have to do is send it straight up and dont bounce it off the walls to many time so the speed wont increase it takes a few mins but it will work

• 7 amber // Jun 20, 2008 at 5:11 pm

I’m wondering if anyone else has had a “glitch” in their game during play. Sometimes, when the ball is in play and the bricks make their first move down, the distance between the ceiling and brick is sooooo tiny and sometimes causes the ball to shoot off into “somewhere beyond.” This is really annoying when i get really high in score and the ball just disappears. There is no way for me to retrieve the ball. The only option is to restart the game. Can anyone tell me if there is something i can do to save my ball or fix this glitch?

• 8 terry // Jun 21, 2008 at 11:24 am

is there a way to start a new game on a higher level after you have used all lives? instead of always going back to level 1?

• 9 Lori-Anne // Jun 24, 2008 at 12:58 am

The worst is when its a crucial point during gameplay, and my arrows in the corner start moving. It causes a split-second freeze of the ball and paddle, and if you are in the process of moving the paddle you may go to far and miss the ball. Also, the ball will sometimes freeze in one place and appear somewhere that is physically impossible at that precise moment.

Also, anyone notice how the ball sometimes sneaks between two silver bricks? How the hell…

• 10 p rizzle // Jul 16, 2008 at 5:25 am

Level 16 is from hell, and I tried to do those cheat codes and cannot seem to do the split second timing at the end of level 3. I love the game my high score is 21,930 (had a good day I guess) , havent been able to get close since.

• 11 Cock-diesel // Jul 16, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Turn off your wireless connection while playing!

• 12 Joroy64 // Jul 21, 2008 at 1:17 pm

- Previous post is correct: jagged video is from the device trying to acquire connections. Before playing, go to “Manage Connections” and click “Turn All Connections Off.” Learned that one on the subway!

– Level 16 is manageable without bonus pills IF you make sure to hit the ball off the corner of the paddle back UP the chute it just came DOWN. Also, if you get the GUN, just blow away the three middle silver bricks so that if you DO get caught with the ball underneath, the gap is one brick higher and at least you can clear some bricks while you fight for your life.

– QUESTION: What is the maximum possible score. I’m at 150,000 with 54 lives, and each cycle my number of lives goes up. Accordingly, I see no ceiling, BUT when I reach 1,000,000, will it “turn over” back to zero? Boy, that would suck!

• 13 Brannon // Jul 28, 2008 at 11:56 am

Today for the 3rd time now I have lost my brickbreaker score.

First time the battery fell out at about 500000 points, 2nd time the battery fell out at 750000 points.

So after that I got a rubber cover for it so if I dropped it the battery would stay in.

Today I come back from lunch and the phone has a white screen and will not do anything, this was with 800000 points and 200 plus lives.

I want to smash the phone with a hammer right now.

• 14 FRANK // Aug 24, 2008 at 1:03 pm

I hate this game. The U level is going to put me in an assylum.

• 15 Qatar Boy // Sep 1, 2008 at 4:18 am

I also have problems with level 16. It seems that if I get a gun (I wipe out corner gray bricks) or catch I actually stand a chance of completing it. Anything else is just pain – borderline impossible. Good luck everyone.

• 16 larry // Sep 2, 2008 at 6:19 pm

i am currently at 94,150. i have 16 lives and wanted to know if the game will actually show 100,000 plus or does it go back to zero. anyone know the answer to that?/

• 17 chris roland // Sep 4, 2008 at 10:12 am

i am addicted and love it sooooooooo much

• 18 Bill // Sep 5, 2008 at 8:41 pm

I actually searched level 16 brickbreaker on google. At least I now know I’m not the only one. I thought there was something wrong with me, but apparently it truly is from hell.

• 19 Taylor // Sep 8, 2008 at 4:25 pm

level 16 gets alottt easier as you keep playing, there was like no chance of me beating it at first and now i can beat it with one life. but yeah i had a question about whenever the ball just disappears into the top of the game?! how do you fix that?!

• 20 Cain // Sep 16, 2008 at 4:34 pm

When the ball bounces out of bounds due to hitting that tweener spot between the brick and the wall, it will come back into play… eventually. It’s happened four times for me where I waited and it finally bounces back in from whatever 100-mile virtual roadtrip it’s been on. I let the game run once for over 24 hours before the thing came back (I had a huge score going otherwise I wouldn’t have bothered… don’t judge me ;)

• 21 Kris // Sep 18, 2008 at 9:31 am

Yeah, 16 is a ridiculous level. My high score was stuck around 10K until I finally beat that level with about 7 or 8 lives. Then, it shot up to 14K. The problem is not so much the shape or the speed of the ball, but the fact that the bottom row keeps dropping down.

• 22 Kristen // Sep 19, 2008 at 4:32 pm

Level 16 is the worst level ever.. i can get to level 16 without any problems but as soon as i get to level 16 its all downhill. i lost 12 lives in that single level.. AHHH its making me nuts

• 23 Sheila // Sep 20, 2008 at 4:20 pm

I’m glad to know that I am not alone in my addiction! I agree that level 16 is very difficult, but now that I have experienced it a few times, I am able to beat it much more easily. So hang in there!

• 24 Squatchie // Sep 20, 2008 at 4:20 pm

I would like to play but I find my thumbs are too fat.

• 25 BRAT // Sep 25, 2008 at 6:55 am

HOW DO PEOPLE SCORE IN THE FRICKIN MILLIONS ??? THATS INSANE

• 26 Jason Pavalon // Sep 29, 2008 at 10:23 am

Have you guys ever seen the all time highest scores?!? Why are they in the millions? I am assuming this is a cheat. Ive made it to level 29 scoring 15760 points. I try my hardest to get all of the pills except ‘flip’ and the occasional ‘wrap’.

Yet I can’t imagine someone playing this game for a year or so to get 3.5 million which is the all time high in the world…

• 27 peter // Oct 4, 2008 at 1:53 pm

High scores are easy because once you get through the game twice the ball slows down. The whole key to beating brickbreaker is to get through all the levels twice. Your whole focus the first time through should be getting as many lives as possible. Ignore points. If you get about 20 lives the first time through you can withstand the fast ball of the second time through and then you are home free. Good luck!

• 28 jane // Oct 7, 2008 at 11:36 am

you rock so keep the suggestion comin have u get any cheats 4 me 4 bb as i have got up to max l4 so far

• 29 jane // Oct 7, 2008 at 11:37 am

how do u get fmillions

• 30 Jim K. // Oct 7, 2008 at 2:03 pm

I have 65 k plus with thirteen lives and the ball went to the top of the screen, hit a brick and was gone. The paddle moves but the ball never came down. Is the game over or is there something I can do other than start a new game?

• 31 Damir M. R. // Oct 12, 2008 at 9:57 pm

I’ve beaten the game about 4-5 now with my highest points being 30, 000 and i’ve come to the conclusion that the best way to beat the game and get high ppints is to not freak out or lose your cool when you have a lot of lives and then start losing them if you get stuck in a pain in the ass level, if you remain cool and concentrate i think you can go forever and get hella points

• 32 Kaitlyn // Oct 13, 2008 at 3:45 pm

I made it up to level 34 with many lives left and the ball disappeared from the screen!!

• 33 Josh // Oct 16, 2008 at 1:51 am

This is a very good run down of what brick breaker is about and gives some good advice.. Although I have to disagree about the strategy on level 16.. this level is definitely the hardest level but I find that once the Bricks all shift down till they cannot go anymore it becomes easier. Also, once it gets to that point, I think you’re better off hitting the ball at the edge of the paddle to keep it moving on less of an angle and almost on a straight path left and right. If you’re skilled enough to keep the ball in play when it comes down moving quickly, this way is much more efficient because you’ll get more hits on the bricks with less shots to the paddle. I find that when moving quickly the ball doesnt come down much. Also, “catch” and the “gun” are a blessing on this level. When you get the gun, make sure you shoot out the three bricks in the middle closest to your paddle. This game is great for killing time. My high score is 28,840. I’ve gone through all 34 levels and then back to 17. It gets very difficult the second time around. Good luck to all u gamers out there and let me know what ur high score is!!!

• 34 Erin // Oct 22, 2008 at 2:39 pm

I can’t play constantly… but I’ll be on level 29 with 5 lives and pause the game, only to find out the next day when I resume that all 5 lives were shot (during PAUSE!!!???) and my game is over. Anyone know how to pause the game officially?

• 35 ghp // Oct 30, 2008 at 4:54 pm

i think level editing is possible.
    Iam on level 15 and its a pain to get back to level 1 everytime i loose.

says something about level editing, does anyone tried this before ?

• 36 miles // Nov 7, 2008 at 10:22 am

Erin,
    I had the same problem with losing games that were ‘paused’, coming back to it and finding the game over. i haven’t had that problem since pausing the game with the ball in play. i thought that i was doing that before, but maybe i was taking breaks at the ends of levels? Ball sitting on the paddle…

• 37 Jonny // Nov 9, 2008 at 11:21 pm

I personally love this game, ive only made it to level 18 with 10700 points. what im wondering is if theres any cheats, like certain buttons to press during game play…?

• 38 Mike // Nov 13, 2008 at 11:05 am

can’t believe the highest score is 700,000,000… that’s a little insane.

• 39 BRAD // Nov 13, 2008 at 7:00 pm

I WAS AT 1 MILIION 150K WITH 400 LIVES LEFT. I STOPPED PLAYING CAME BACK AND MY GAME IS GONE. IS THERE ANYWAY TO RESTORE MY PREVIOUS GAME????

• 40 Backbayzona // Nov 18, 2008 at 8:47 pm

That’s what scares me about BB…you can’t save or retrive a game. I’m currently at Round 140 with a score of 2,511,800 with 1,350 lives. That is 10th place on the w/w high scores list but I’m afraid to submit my score in case it resets the game…but I don’t want to lose the game in other ways noted above…pressure is on…

• 41 Brannon // Nov 19, 2008 at 2:13 pm

There is no way to restore the game that I know of.

I stopped playing for that very reason because my phone would lock up from being on so long.

Very frustrating

• 42 MARLEN // Nov 22, 2008 at 12:42 pm

DOES IT HAPPEN TO ANYBODY WHERE THE BALL DISAPPEARS OUT OF NOWHERE? WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET MY BALL BACK :( I WAS DOING SO WELL.

• 43 Maxx // Nov 25, 2008 at 2:52 pm

someone has discovered a secret code to receive more than just 3 missile?

• 44 Dwaine // Nov 26, 2008 at 7:01 pm

Marlen – I agree. I was just on level 17 with 9 lives and it disappeared out the top. I’m convinced it’s a bug…

• 45 Backbayzona // Nov 28, 2008 at 8:30 am

No, once the ball gets stuck and disappears it is gone…flaw in the game. I’ll play until that happens to me or the BB resets…then I’ll never touch the game again!!! Status: I’m currently at 3,334,120 with 1,760 lives. My goal is 10 mil (current high score out there is 7,755,000) and then I’m done. Anybody still going strong…?

• 46 W_Frost // Dec 4, 2008 at 3:25 am

This is addictive and B.berry really sucks when you have the game on for a long time. It stalls and pauses and resets and sometimes shuts off and you don’t have a score anymore. However, if you get past the first 2 levels (34 each), sky is the limit cause (I’m guessing it’s a glitch) the ball moves extremely slow afterwards.

• 47 W_Frost // Dec 4, 2008 at 3:27 am

I was up about 600.000 with something like 55 lives when my bb kept shutting off, and then my facebook messages and bb messenger conversations started fading away one by one. Once when I turned the thing back on it wouldn’t start. It said ‘application error’ so whatever you do, do not leave it on for a month like I did. Real frustrating when you lose data b/c some game has been on too long

• 48 Anita Braek // Dec 17, 2008 at 12:55 pm

The U-shaped level is not as hard as everyone thinks. The trick is to be patient, and don’t get freaked out. Keep the ball going as vertical as possible, and you’ll be surprised how easy it is to beat the board with out dying.

• 49 Crackberry_Bricksmacker // Dec 18, 2008 at 9:14 pm

Level 16 is indeed hell on earth… or atleast on a RIM device. The only thing ive found to be helpful is to get into level 16 with as many ‘sparable’ lives as possible. After the ball ineveitably bounces back down one of the sides and hits the paddle causing the gray wall of death to drop at every contact, just let the ball die after the first drop of the brick ceiling. This gives you a new start and many more contacts with the ball (rather that EVERY contact) before the wall continues to drop… repeat as necessary.

Hope this helps..

[Editor's reply: I know exactly what you mean about letting the ball die after the level drops. Knowing when to call your losses on this level is perhaps the best advice. Thanks for posting!]

• 50 Greg // Jan 7, 2009 at 12:43 pm

This game is so addictive. I finally made it to level 30 after a year of playing. I agree that you must accumulate as many lives as you can prior to reaching level 16 to have a good chance.

If you get a life on Level 1 you tend to get lives more frequently in the game. Restart the game over and over until you get a life on Level 1.

• 51 BRAD // Jan 7, 2009 at 6:17 pm

ONCE AGAIN, AFTER MY PREVIOUS GAME ERASED I GOT BACK UP TO 1,200,000 THIS TIME AND MY GAME IS GONE AGAIN. I AM NOW DONE WITH BRICK BREAKER.

• 52 Cain // Jan 8, 2009 at 2:19 pm

Yeah, me too. No matter how careful I try to be, the damn BB just resets at some point by itself for whatever reason and erases my game progress completely. I was close to a million when it did it again the other day. I’m done with it too. Bleck.

• 53 benjamin // Jan 15, 2009 at 5:11 pm

what do you do when the ball disapears at the top of the screen. I was on level 23 and it went off of the screen and i had 4 lives.

• 54 Lou // Jan 25, 2009 at 12:41 am

My high score was 67k before i lost my friggin ball! I confirmed with RIM that this a bug and the ball will never come back no matter how long you wait. The good news is that a patch has been issued and it’s been fixed. The bad news is that it can only be downloaded from my carrier’s website and my carrier (Att) won’t make it available for my 8800. Only the newer models get the version which fixes this bug… Does anyone know where I can buy (download) the latest version for my 8800?

• 55 juan // Jan 25, 2009 at 7:13 am

Is there any way that I could save the game while playing. This way I wouldn’t loose the score once I start playing. Omg I had 299,000 and I lost everything I don’t know how but that really sucks.

• 56 Charlie // Feb 5, 2009 at 11:37 am

Am I the only one that uses my bluetooth headset so I can play while talking on the phone?

If you havent found out how to do this, it is a god send. lol

• 57 Beth // Feb 9, 2009 at 7:37 pm

Level 16 will be the death of me!!!! I had 10 lives and still couldn’t make it off. That “U” is about to make me lose my mind!!!!!!!!!!!

• 58 Cain // Feb 24, 2009 at 11:18 am

Lou, that’s not true. The ball does indeed come back. You just have to wait sometimes for many many hours, letting the game run overnight while you’re not using the phone. I’ve had the disappeared ball return dozens of times now, you just have to be patient.

• 59 Mark // Mar 11, 2009 at 8:35 am

How are you getting so many points. My high score is 14,000+ on my 8330. Maybe there is a difference in each model.

• 60 James // Mar 14, 2009 at 1:56 pm

I’m at 30,000 points. I finished the game but I lost the second time around at level 18. Level 16 drained me out of 10 lives (had 15 when i got there). But there is hope since I hear that the game gets exponentially easy after you finish the game the second time around. I know people whose score is in the millions, and who have played the same game for months now.
    On the other hand I keep telling myself: You finished all levels whats the point of playing anymore. ADDICTION!!! Can’t get enough of this game. I thought I was the only one but I guess I’m not alone. Maybe there should be a rehab center for people addicted to crack-berry and brickbreaker and some day we can all beat our addiction… LOL

• 61 Ben Mero // Mar 16, 2009 at 8:44 am

my friend got over 1,000,000 before the game just keeps going on until you lose all ur lives

• 62 gup // Mar 27, 2009 at 2:43 pm

huh i thoght theres going to be games but nooo there is not any arrrrrrrrrgh

• 63 gup // Mar 27, 2009 at 2:44 pm

oh now i get it

• 64 Babyboyy // Mar 29, 2009 at 3:29 pm

how do you get a million plus score on 1 to 4 levels. Can someone look at the high scores and tell me how do you get 3 million and only on level 8…… but the top scorer has 10 million and he’s on level 26

• 65 Morgan // Apr 9, 2009 at 11:10 am

BabyBoyy,

The levels loop, so while a high scorer may appear on level 8, they have probably completed all the other levels hundreds of times.

• 66 denetteb // May 6, 2009 at 6:59 am

how in the world are you guys scoring that high? the most lives i have had at one time was 8…is it a difference on the bb? heck, i’m just trying to make it out of level 16!!!

• 67 jose // May 30, 2009 at 2:34 pm

hi everybody, I reached 1,430.000 points, and 170 lives. At that point, I can’t continue playing, because each time the ball hits the wall, it appears an error saying “tray again”. Also I can´t finish the match, and I can´t count my record. I´m broken.

• 68 Steven Trustey // Jun 2, 2009 at 11:08 am

Can somebody offer advice? My internet is not working on my BB Storm. It’s happened before, and if I take the battery out and put it back in, the problem is solved.

The only issue is I have 100,000+ on Brickbreaker (my previous high was 30K…its true, once you pass through twice, it’s a cake walk). If I take my battery out, I will lose my game correct? Any suggestions? I’ve tried turning the internet connection off and back on, but no dice.

• 69 taylor // Jun 8, 2009 at 11:26 am

im at level 34 the last one and its so frigin hard.
    please can you help me get to the end of the game because it is very hard to win and i have een trying for like ever and its way to hard for me but level 34 is very hard if you did not get to there yet cause you will have allot of trouble cause there is like 900 bricks its way to hard but i think when you beat it you

• 70 Brad // Jun 10, 2009 at 10:45 am

Each time I recharge my battery, it resets my brickbreaker game. Is there a way to recharge and not lose your current game? Thank you for supporting my addiction!

• 71 Jim // Jun 13, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Wow wtf, made it past level 16 three straight times and on the following levels the balls disappeared every time!!! This is so ridiculously frustrating, as that tiny space between the top brick and the wall seems to be the problem. This is so ridiculous

• 72 Pat // Jun 14, 2009 at 8:48 am

How do you get all these lives? Someone said 200 – 53 – etc.? I’ve only gotten 12 for the highest amount. Is there some trick or way to get more????

• 73 jose // Jun 16, 2009 at 2:59 am

hi Pat,
    There’s no trick, you have to preserve your current life, and get new ones…

• 74 jose // Jun 16, 2009 at 3:01 am

Hi Jim,
    You should try to beat the ball twice before sending it up. Then you will not have problems any more…

• 75 Darrell // Jun 16, 2009 at 11:45 am

Was up to 2.8 million with 1151 lives when phone crashed. Back up to 1,285,320 with 831 lives.

• 76 Pat // Jun 17, 2009 at 8:54 pm

Thanks Jose – are you up at 3AM playing? I guess I’m not that talented at this game when I see this Darrell guy with 1151 lives— what do you mean when you say beat the ball twice in response to Jim??? Maybe I’m missing something.

• 77 jackson // Jul 1, 2009 at 11:21 pm

Why cant you guys score in the freaken BILLIONS That almost KILLS me. Mimi,how to use the gun,well,try pressing the space bar. My dad could not get past level 16. However I have done it a million times. After you get over 500000,the battery is dead. That freaken sucks. In 2008, the game was gone and I was doing well. That darn sucks because the phone died. After the phone died,I began doing it online. But the dang computer shut down.I AM OFFICILY DONE WITH ANY TYPE OF BRICKBREAKER FOREVER. DO NOT BUY ANOTHER BLACKBERRY AGAIN. I HEARD SOMEONE PUTS LIQUID OVER THE BATTERY. IT MAKES SHUT DOWN A LOT. NEVER.

[Editor's reply: Thanks for posting 12 different comments one sentence at a time, no wonder you never figured out how to charge your battery.]

• 78 keith // Jul 5, 2009 at 5:30 am

i also, got upto like 300,000 a load of times with around 50 lives each time and when i drop the phone the batter must move and it resets. rather annoying but when the levels start to slow down again after a few times round lets be honest we could all just keep going forever. the only real challenge is getting past the 2nd time round the levels so for those of you still to do it don’t be too impressed by anyone with 40,000 plus hi score, it’s really easy after that anyway!

• 79 Jim // Jul 5, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Jose,
    Thanks for the advice. I’ve been using that strategy as much as possible, and it always works. The hard part is guessing as to when the bricks are going to start to move down, and sometimes i’ll lay back and hit the ball back and forth off of a silver brick until then so I can avoid the problem. Just before I came here, though, the bricks moved down before i thought they would and i sent the ball up and of course it went out of play… lol. Was on level 30 with 15 lives (my best chance yet). Oh well though thanks for the help.

• 80 Andrew // Jul 8, 2009 at 9:00 pm

this game is quite simple i assure you of this. i got to level 111 and im still playing as i am typing. i am a proffesional at this. i have 200 lives left and still beating levels. now i am on level 112. i am a genius please, do not tell me otherwise or i will be very furious. thankyou.

• 81 Tom // Jul 21, 2009 at 6:00 pm

“this game is quite simple i assure you of this. i got to level 111 and im still playing as i am typing.”

“i got to level 111″

“level 111″

0/10, would not troll again

• 82 Mohamed // Jul 27, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Hi
    Guys I can’t believe the millions part its “insane”, I’m sure its on a Pearl or something.
    Getting a score beyond 100,000 on a curve is really brutal and nearly impossible. I just got a curve three weeks ago and I’m so addicted to the game and i am on level 17 with a highest score of 10,170!! If you watch videos on YouTube on Brick Breaker it clearly illustrates the different version of the game whereas the curve, bold, and storm don’t exceed the 100,000 range and the screens are old, plus they are posted a year ago where the new blackberries have not arrived yet.
    My Hint for the guys that stay on the game with hours, is to stop and have a long-interval before continuing to play and remember the pace of the game next time you continue because you might “un-pause” the game and find the ball going really fast beyond your expectations which will reduce important lives.
    Good Luck for all of you and have a nice time and try to only play the game in your spare time.
    Kind Regards,
    Mohamed

• 83 Ando // Aug 17, 2009 at 7:28 am

Level 16 is by far the most difficult of the 34. However, I think I found a bit of an unorthodox way of making it much more simple. On my first shot, I move the direction all the way to the left and shoot. This will make the ball hit the brick in the top middle (which also gives you a pill). then when the ball comes back down, let it go. I know it sounds crazy, but just let the ball go and sacrifice that life. Then take the exact same shot with the direction all the way to the left. This will destroy nearly all the bricks in the U in one shot. But of course, don’t try this method if you get a “catch” on the first shot.

• 84 PH // Oct 29, 2009 at 3:52 pm

There are in fact ten blue bonus pills: you didn’t mention slow… Great guide otherwise

• 85 PH // Oct 30, 2009 at 4:25 am

Great guide.. but there are actually 10 blue bonus pills.. you didn’t mention SLOW.

• 86 Zack // Nov 12, 2009 at 2:41 pm

FUCK LEVEL 16

• 87 shabs // Nov 13, 2009 at 7:44 am

man!!!

my highest score is only 2700

• 88 Boogaloo2 // Dec 16, 2009 at 11:56 am

Ando, if your tip for level 16 works I will give you $1 million and name my next child after you!!

• 89 mingo // Dec 20, 2009 at 4:31 am

Hi!! I’ve just reached 1.000.000 points!!!!!!
    yes, you read it correctly ONE MILLION POINTS! 58 times all 34 levels!! and still counting as I have 117 lives to go…..I’m playing the same game since more than 3 months now!
    The first 3 x 34 leves were really hard but then the ball slowed its pace and now its just keeping it in play. Level 16 is still a piece of s..t
    Does somebody know what AMMO on the right side means? thanks and keep playing
    mingo

[Editpr's reply: Congratulations! My girlfriend's game is at a similar score right now - watch out! Don't forget that in order for your high score to be posted, your game actually has to end normally. Beware of the Berry crashing! Ammo tells you how many shots you have left when you get a "Gun" pill power-up.]

• 90 Chris // Dec 25, 2009 at 7:57 pm

Hey. Mingo AMMO means how many bullets you have left from your gun. Im pretty sure im rite. Do you know were I could go to a website to get walk thres on each level and that they will show me were to hit the ball and what all the levels look like? Thanks!

• 91 mingo // Dec 26, 2009 at 2:15 am

thanks for the comment! in the meantime I’m at 1.111.770 65 x 34 and 134 lives to go. Since the BlackBerry was first used by another person in the company there is some kind of password and I cannot send the max score….which really piss me off! if somebody has a cue how to to revert it without losing my game?
    Thanks, Domingo

• 92 James Litvany // Jan 5, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Currently at 860000 with 110 lives. Playing over a month. If your BB goes to SOS, DO NOT REMOVE THE BATTERY. Just power it off and the game will be saved. Most “difficult” levels can be overcome if you start one notch over from far left and realease. BBreaker is the official noningested laxative.

• 93 Mike // Jan 17, 2010 at 4:22 pm

anyone – does anyone have a suggestion as to what is the best paddle acceleration level? I’m stuck at 32,000 – only a few games away from completing the second cycle. I’m trying the “fast” accelleration level but am finding it hard to get used to. desperate.

[Editor's reply: Paddle acceleration seems to me to be a personal preference. Just out of curiosity, are you using a BlackBerry Curve? Many of the high scores seem to come from BlackBerry Pearl handsets.]

• 94 Steve // Jan 24, 2010 at 11:29 am

I have discovered a cheat. You can actually skip levels. I read all those cheats and could not do them. I discovered something, you can skip from 1 to 16 levels. I call it jumping because it is not an exact science. Sometimes, it jumps more or less than I think it is going to. I skipped level 16, skipped as many as I could in second round of playing and got to 3rd level. Easy after that. I still skip 8, 10, and 16. They are boring, no lives and hard.

[Editor's reply: Yes, *you* discovered it.]

• 95 mo jo // Jan 28, 2010 at 3:48 pm

so, what is the cheat?

[Editor's reply: I believe he's referring to this, which does not work on all versions: http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/121160-guide-skipping-levels-brickbreaker.html ]

• 96 Rick Thorne // May 17, 2010 at 12:03 pm

I’ve been working on one game for over three weeks. I’ve gone through all 34 levels 75 times I have 1,476,354 pts and 107 lives left. I’ve been as low as 18 lives and as high as 140. Sometimes it is very challenging. I recently got down to 67 lives and felt as though it was coming to an end, however,I am back up to 107 lives. Sometimes all of the pills are your friend and sometimes they all can be your enemies including extra lives. They could be there to trap you.

• 97 Zack // Jul 28, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Great addicting game

• 98 Jake // Jul 28, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Zachs right

• 99 Noah // Jul 28, 2010 at 7:57 pm

I agree, zachs right

[Editor's reply: Just to be clear, these were all posted within 5 minutes from the same IP address. But since I laughed out loud at "Zack"s audacity, I approved the comments as-is.]

• 100 jake // Aug 16, 2010 at 2:42 pm

How do you get so many lives?

• 101 Don // Aug 30, 2010 at 10:46 am

Why does the game reset sometimes on its own? I see this posted over and over on here but it seems no one has an answer. You would think this would be an easy fix. Anyone had any luck with this?

[Editor's reply: Don, it's probably the BlackBerry crashing. BlackBerry O/S is notoriously unstable when running multiple apps. Unfortunately I'm not really sure what you can do, perhaps besides limit which applications you are using.]

• 102 Spike // Sep 11, 2010 at 11:32 pm

I am not alone! Oh boy how I can relate to all the frustration, foot jerking reaction and sheer torment of level 16. Stick in there gamers, I’m on level 118, at 1.9 million and 950 lives, I will reach 1000 lives then just concentrate on scores, but I will teach this sucker who is boss first! LOL

• 103 Woody // Oct 21, 2010 at 2:11 pm

I can relate as well! I was at 1.7 million when my device reset on it’s own, had 1.5 million when it went totally belly up and I was issued a new Bold, have lost my score 4 times due to 3 resets (I actually elected to remove some programs to free up memory one time so that was self-inflicted) and I dropped it and the battery dropped out! The good thing is: the last two times this happened, I was able to immediately get through the game twice which gets you back to the Promise Land of easy points. I must say that at the level I’m at now (about 3 years of playing this game) level 13 doesn’t give me any trouble. The level I hate is the one (Iforget the number) where you have like five tiers of bricks and you’re hoping for a “catch” or “long” to come down especially before the frame starts dropping. This is a very simple game but there is some finese to it in order to get through all the levels twice. I have found myself getting better as a player when something does go wrong and I’m back at square one. That’s when the blood starts pumping and you sit on edge trying to get back to the Promise Land :-)

Woody

• 104 tejinder // Oct 24, 2010 at 3:29 am

u know once i was playing i drained out alife at lvl 11 but! at the same time i completed lvl 11 so
    i played lvl 12 and 13
    in thelife box it was written life is zero plz lemmi know othe r instances also

• 105 Goober // Nov 3, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Like most here I am a BB addict. I have a Curve 8900. I’m on my 3rd or 4th trip past round 2, as I have had reboots usually due to dropping the phone like everyone else. It takes me 6-12 months to get escape velocity again and survive past round 2. It seems you constantly have to relearn ball control because the track ball changes over time. I have a few issues that I don’t see people talking about so I’ll bring them up here.

-It seems that the playing field is shifted to the left one or two pixels, as compared to my old BB7000 years ago. Because of this, the ball will occasionally “slink” up or down the right wall, past bricks etc. Sometimes this is helpful, but it usually is very unhelpful.
    -Where it shows my score I can only see 4 digits because the font size is too big to display the full score. So I can only guess what my score is now at 15x. The digits it shows are the middle 4 digits.
    -Compared to my old 7000, the game play on the 8900 is less smooth- the ball is a little jittery as it moves across the screen. This gave me headaches at first, but I’m used to it now. But the track ball is much better for playing than the 7000s track wheel (I never got past 2x until I got the 8900).
    -My phone seems to be slowing down and sometimes stalls for 5-10 seconds at a time. This often happens at just the wrong moment and can result in loss of lives.

• 106 Karnika Kaushal // Nov 17, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Hi I am addicted to this game and play it atleast 4-5 hours a day (while travelling in the subway). I am playing a game right now, with a score of 93580 and i still have 50 lives to go… How can i submit my high score???

[Editor's reply: Unfortunately, you can't submit your score until it's over! This has frustrated many players in the past who've had insanely high scores, only to have their phone reset or their battery die, with their chance of a high score dying with it.]

• 107 Faith // Dec 29, 2010 at 11:09 am

Well, I am glad I read this I was beginning to believe I was the only one who just could not pass level 16. I have only passed it a couple times with the help of catch or gun. It is probably the worst when you get flip or something else stupid like that. Right now I am on level 11 with only 6 lives. But I haven’t lost any lives this whole game, how do all the rest of you people get like 60+ lives

• 108 Galen // Jan 23, 2011 at 12:08 am

My high score is 44850. That’s two and half times around… Yep, hopelessly addicted.

[Editor's reply: At scores below 1 million, there is still hope for you.]

• 109 Maria // May 12, 2011 at 3:11 am

This game is a cheat. U can start with 150 or 350. 150 score will be higher at end of 5 game. I have played approx 1000 games never gone through 2nd game. If score is high and lots of lives u will loose them in the all before end of 1st game. Low score with 3 or 4 lives will take u to the next game which is very fast and u loose out. As soon as u pickup a icon it goes full speed. U can all enjoy the game I can’ play cheating games

• 110 Maria // May 12, 2011 at 7:53 am

Hi me again, now I’m convinced that the game is rigged. Got to game 22 (15,750 score & 7 lives) in all the games I’ve played I only lost 1 life in that game now because score is high I loose 7 what a joke. Know u have some experts playing but consider the other millions

Got to second level game 14 with 15 lives, and ewnt into no 16 with 2 live. Now that’s a joke. Only lost 2 lives from game 1-13 in 2nd round and then 15 in 3 levels ?????

• 111 This week on TGIF: camp withdrawal, lasers and the merits of Teen Angel | Cassels Brock & Blogwell // May 25, 2011 at 10:42 pm

[...] fuhgeddaboutit. One thing I have learned: the best power-up in Brick Breaker by FAR is the Laser. By [...]

• 112 Animal // Aug 25, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Notice when you go through all the levels and it re-starts at level one, everything speeds up? Level 16 is like child’s play the first round, compared with the second round. A word of warning for all you who get frustrated, Blackberries don’t float!!!

Another warning, this one health related! Sitting on the toilet for extended periods, can lead to hemorrhoids!!!!!

[Editor's reply: Remember to wash your hands after each level.]

• 113 bipen // Sep 2, 2011 at 1:22 am

i am at 200,000 and more and I have 31 lives. It looks like the game is never gonna end.

• 114 Diana // Sep 4, 2011 at 5:52 am

Level 16!!!!!!!!!!! eeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr lol How do u pass that level??? I passed it once and that’s it never again :(

• 115 Augustine // Sep 5, 2011 at 1:12 am

try to play level 16 by controlling the trackball within ur thumb nail.so that you can get good control of the paddle.

• 116 Radhika // Oct 12, 2011 at 1:01 pm

i love this game! i have 135 lifes and im at 640670!! addictive..

• 117 Asad virk // Nov 5, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I am play this game every day and i am genious of this game…..

[Editor's reply: Alas, not of English.]

• 118 vikizagadon // Nov 14, 2011 at 8:16 am

Men! I really get pissed off, after scaling all through to level 16! It becomes so hard that all mine hard-gotten lives, jst goes with d wind, no matter how hard I try to maintain balance. It’s awful. Pls any better way to dodge that level 16?